I’m excited to share these denim and linen Parkside Shorts with you! I finished them a couple of weeks ago, but I’ve been wearing them everyday and had to make time to photograph them.
About a week into #memademay, I realized that I didn’t have any shorts that fit and the weather was much too hot for jeans. I looked around at what was available, but didn’t really want to make fitted chino style shorts (too much fitting…) and didn’t see much else I liked. A week later, Caroline released her Parkside Shorts pattern. The shorts are relaxed fit with an elastic waist, but they still look nice enough for everyday wear.
I have used Caroline’s patterns before and love them. I’ve made a couple of Out & About Dresses. The patterns are easy to print and assemble and the instructions are clear and professional, with lots of extra tips for beginners. The Parkside Shorts pattern also has a skirt option that uses the same elastic and drawstring waist. I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s a cute and casual option for summer as well.
I had planned to make some linen shorts, but I grabbed some leftover denim to make a muslin while I was waiting for my linen order. Based on the measurements, I thought I was between a S and M (hips 38″), so I cut between the S and M lines to create an in-between size. I also cut them a couple of inches longer, thinking that they looked short. After sewing them partially and trying them on, I realized they were way too big! I ended up taking in a whole size, making them somewhere between an XS and a S. And I ended up making them the original length. (I’m much shorter than Caroline, so they look longer than I expected…) They fit much better, but I decided that cutting a S would probably be right for my next pair. If in doubt, go with your typical store size.
The denim pair worked out pretty well. I used a thinner chambray for the inside of the waistband to reduce some of the bulk. (Just cut the waistband piece in half and add 1/2″ seam allowance. Sew together and use as one piece.) The stiffness of the denim made the shorts stick out around the thighs more than I like, so I had to take in the thigh section even more than a size. That ended up pulling at the top of the back thigh, so it wasn’t the perfect alteration…but that’s why we make muslins! In general, lighter weight fabric is going to hang better than something like denim. Chambray would be a better choice.
The linen pair is a size S, with no major alterations. I did take in the center front seam about another inch to get rid of some extra fabric puffiness. I also added some topstitching details that weren’t included in the pattern instructions. The fabric is 5.3 oz linen and the weight seems just right for shorts. It’s heavy enough that it’s not sheer, but light enough to have some movement. I have some navy blue in the same fabric and plans for another pair!
Overall…great pattern! They are really wearable and easy-to-make shorts that I think will become a staple in my summer wardrobe.